Your Go To Checklist For Your Home Sale
It’s easy to say, it is a seller’s market. Prepping your home is a vital step in the selling process and it very important to grab interest from potential home buyers. Every seller wants their home to sell fast and for top dollar. The best way to get that, is to plan carefully and know how to professionally spruce up your home that will have the buyers excited. Here’s how!
1. Let go You need to disassociate yourself and your life from the home. Tell yourself that it is just a home and a product to be sold. Let go of your emotions and grasp the fact that it will soon no longer be yours. Say goodbye to every room, picture yourself handing over the keys to the new owners and don’t look back – just to the exciting future.
2. De-Personalize Pack up all of the personal photographs and family hand me downs in the home. You don’t want to distract potential buyers from picturing themselves and their pictures there. You want them to say “I can see myself living there” and by taking your personal items from the home, it will make them say that with ease.
3. De-Clutter It is amazing how much unnecessary things we collect over the years. If you haven’t used something in over a year, you probably don’t need it. Clean off everything from the kitchen counters and pack up the knick-knacks and collectibles. If you don’t need it, why not donate it? Think of this process as getting a head start on packing.
4. Don’t Forget the Closets and Cabinets Buyers love to snoop. They have no restrictions and will open the closets and cabinet spaces in the kitchen and the bathrooms as well. Seeing everything organized will let them know that you take good care of the home. You don’t want the items falling out onto them!
5. Remove/Replace Your Favourite Items If there are items that you would like to keep, like window coverings, light fixtures, appliances etc. remove them now. If the light fixture in your bedroom was once your great, great grandfather’s take it down. If they buyer doesn’t see it, they wont want it. Pack up those items and replace them if necessary, they can make or break a deal.
6. Make Minor Repairs Cracked flooring or countertops, small holes in the wall, leaky faucets, doors that jam, burned out light bulbs, or the bright colour your child picked for the main bathroom are easy repairs that make a huge difference. Fixing these things will ensure you get more money out of your hard work rather than having to sacrifice because of something that could have been fixed prior.
7. Check Curb Appeal If your home isn’t inviting, the buyer won’t even bother trying to go inside. Keep your sidewalks cleared, mow the lawn when needed, paint faded window trims, trim your bushes and make sure visitors can clearly read your house number. Bonus: Add pops of yellow. Whether that be in your choice of plants (marigolds are an inexpensive option) or outdoor decor, yellow evokes a buying emotion. It will get them excited.
8. Make the House Sparkle & Scrutinize!! Clean, clean, clean!! Wash your windows inside and out, clean and air out the home entirely, clean out cobwebs, re-caulk your tubs, showers and sinks, clean out the refrigerator (they will snoop!), polish mirrors and faucets, vacuum daily – keep everything clean. After you’ve cleaned, pretend to be a buyer. Start on the outside, is the home welcoming? Do you want to go in? Stand in every room and picture it from a buyers point of view. Examine everything carefully, and make sure everything is in it’s proper place where it makes sense. These steps will help prepare your home without a doubt! If your Realtor decides it needs some extra staging, it will provide just enough pizzazz to attract the perfect buyer for your home!